Writing a cover letter is an essential part of submitting an article to a journal. On the 15th November, we were pleased to welcome Dr Jatinder Minhas to speak at the Writing Club.
Here is some of the advice he shared about writing a successful cover letter:
1. Make sure the letter is appropriately headed
2. Address it to the Editor-in-Chief of the journal
3. If you’re responding to a call for papers, state this clearly at the start
4. Make sure you include the name of the paper!
In your introduction…
5. Provide the context for your paper
6. Describe the work’s novelty
7. Define the expected increment knowledge for readers
8. Reinforce the expected impact
9. Be clear and succinct
10. Be positive – make sure you sell the good points!